CLINICAL LAB SCIENTIST-MV
Company: Kaiser Permanente Zion Medical Center
Location: Moreno Valley
Posted on: June 1, 2021
A hiring manager may specify Preferred Qualifications, which are
desirable and above and beyond the requirements specified in the
Minimum Qualifications section above.
Please keep in mind that any such Preferred Qualifications should
be job related and relevant (i.e., directly related to the duties
and responsibilities described in this Job Description) and stated
in non-prejudicial language. Performs pre-analytical, analytical
and post-analytical phase testing of all complexities as defined by
Clinical Laboratory Improvement Act/Amendment (CLIA) to include
specialized tests and analysis in one or more areas of clinical
laboratory such as Hematology, Microbiology, Clinical Chemistry,
Urinalysis, Immunohematology, Serology, Parasitology and chemical
and morphological examinations to obtain data for use in diagnosis
and recording laboratory test results. Analysis of test results are
performed on the population serviced (e.g., neonatal, pediatric,
adolescent, adult, geriatric clients).
- Upholds Kaiser Permanente's Policies and Procedures, Principles
of Responsibilities and applicable state, federal and local
- Provides the highest level of patient care as defined by
established standards and maintains confidentiality on all tests
performed by the laboratory.
- Performs and reports test results for all clinical laboratory
procedures as assigned, both automated and manual, in the clinical
laboratory department, without immediate review by the director,
consultant, or supervisory team.
- Demonstrates proficiency, competency and understanding of
fundamental principles of clinical laboratory procedures with
minimal amount of supervision.
- Monitors and is accountable for test data, quality control,
quality assurance, preventive maintenance, proficiency testing and
all operations related to laboratory testing procedures.
- Notifies Supervisory team of any irregularities of factors,
which may influence test results.
- Ability to trouble-shoot equipment and test methods. Identifies
and resolves unusual laboratory situations and notifies appropriate
parties within shift.
- Consults with physicians, nurses, pharmacists, etc. on the
technical aspects of methodologies used, appropriateness of test
utilization and interpretation of patient results.
- Instructs new employees and/or Clinical Laboratory Scientist
students in laboratory procedures within area the CLS assigned, in
order that they may develop proficiency and understanding of the
clinical laboratory methodology.
- Provides training, guidance and pertinent technical information
to Laboratory Assistants, support staff, clerks, CLS students and
Medical Center personnel.
- Discusses clinical laboratory problems of mutual interest with
the Supervisory team, and lead technologist in order to develop a
better communication link within the department.
- Participates in work groups to work through problems, issues or
goals of the department.
- Assists in evaluating new tests procedures when requested and
communicates to the Supervisory team the possibilities for their
- Meets states requirements for mandatory CEUs. As defined by
established standards, works in a professional, cooperative and
- Observes all laboratory, Kaiser Permanente and regulatory
agency policies and procedures.
- Maintains overall safety (including chemical and biological) of
the department in accordance with established safety, infection
control and procedure protocols. Monitors supplies and reagents and
notifies appropriate parties of par levels.
- As necessary and appropriate, may perform any clerical or other
duties of support staff/laboratory assistants that may be assigned
such as performing phlebotomy on inpatients and outpatients.
- Accepts responsibility of assisting in work areas not primarily
his/her own. Operates computerized laboratory data systems /
- Participates in direct patient care by providing the patient
with information to enhance the understanding of laboratory test,
instructing the patient on specimen requirements and conditions for
specialized testing and collecting from the patient samples to
include blood, body fluids, secretions, and tissues for
- One (1) year recent experience as a CLS.
- Per the National Agreement, current KP Coalition employees have
this experience requirement waived.
License, Certification, Registration
- A current and valid California State Clinical Laboratory
Scientist License (CLS)
- Ability to demonstrate knowledge of and to utilize the
principles, theories, practices, methodologies and techniques
required of a Clinical Laboratory Scientist.
- Note: Education/License/Certification and Qualifications
required for Moreno Valley Community Hospital employees acquired
through Kaiser Permanente's purchase of Valley Health System's
Moreno Valley Community Hospital:
- Employees shall meet the minimum position qualifications as
listed on their previous Valley Health System job description.
Keywords: Kaiser Permanente Zion Medical Center, Moreno Valley , CLINICAL LAB SCIENTIST-MV, Other , Moreno Valley, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!